Roulette is one of the easiest casino games for the novice gamer to comprehend – red or black, even or odd, straight number. But what seems like a 50-50 bet is skewed emphatically towards the house thanks to the addition of a single zero on the wheel. Or, in the American version two non-winning slots that drop a player’s win percentage below 95%.
Beating the house edge on such a simple game has spawned a legion of complicated betting systems and colourful gambling stories. After all, there is no greater gambler fantasy than to waltz into a casino, drop a fortune on red and watch the spinning of the wheel as it carries your life’s fate with every bounce of the ball. how to play online poker is the question for many players now.
The above selections are based primarily on the casinos roulette game selection as well as our general opinion of the site. If you’re looking for additional bonuses which can be used in conjunction with the game, you may wish to view our separate guide to roulette bonuses.
How To Play Roulette
Betting rules in roulette have evolved little since their beginnings more than two centuries ago. The betting field, or layout, consists of a three-by-twelve grid with the numbers 1 through 36 listed sequentially across the rows. Additional spaces for zero and double zero if used are placed on top of the number grid. Around the outside of the grid are spaces that allow players to bet on blocks of numbers with correspondingly shorter odds.
The inside bets, as wagers on the numbers grid are called, can include:
Straight – a bet on a single number.
Street – a bet placed on the line at the beginning or end of a row that gives the players three numbers to win (1,2,3 for example).
Split – a bet placed on two adjoining numbers, either vertically or horizontally, on the grid (such as 28 and 31 or 32 and 33).
Corner – a bet placed at the intersection of four numbers on the grid (such as 20, 21, 23 and 24).
Trio – a bet of three numbers that can be made based on the placement of the zero spaces at the top of the grid.
Basket – a bet involving the numbers in the top row and the zero depending on configuration.
The outside bets on the options around the grid can include:
- 1-18 – the player wagers that the ball will favour one of the lower half of the 36 numbers.
- 19-36 – a bet on the higher half of the grid.
- Red or black – a bet that the ball will tumble into a red or black pocket.
- Even or odd – a bet that the bill win end up in an even or odd numbered slot.
- Dozen bets – similar to the 1-18 or 19-36 bets this option gives you the opportunity to wager on 1-12, 13-24 or 25-36.
- Column bet – instead of having your twelve numbers in play run sequentially you can wager on all the numbers in any of the three columns.
- Snake Bet – a variation of the dozen bet that allows the player to bet on the numbers 1, 5, 9, 12, 14, 16, 19, 23, 27, 30, 32, and 34 as they slither through the number grid. Some layouts display a snake head to enable live casino players to make this wager.